Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to tell Jefcoat before they build my fence?
Once you have decided to install a fence, you should be prepared to discuss the following points:
- The purpose of the fence
- The exact location of the fence
- What type of design features you want (height, style, material)
- Approximate budget
- Desired completion date
How many styles of fences are there?
There are many different styles of fences and they are called different names depending on the companies you talk to and the areas in which you live.
- Chain link fences can be vinyl coated or galvanized and could have plastic slats inserted for adding privacy.
- Wood fences come in a variety of styles, such as stockade, wyngates, flat board, estate, paddock, picket and split rail.
- PVC fences are relatively new to the fence industry. PVC fences come in many of the same styles as wood fences. This product is very easy to maintain.
- Aluminum fences can look much like the old wrought iron fences (which are still available). Both aluminum and wrought iron are often ornamental by design.
What are the basic fence materials?
Basic fence materials for residential use include tubular iron in square or round shapes, steel wire with steel or wood frames, wood for panel and rail fences, aluminum fence available with wire mesh, panel or glass insert, and the new polyvinyl chloride (PVC) fences.
How long will my fence last?
There are many factors that affect the life of a fence, including local climate, soil conditions, and the materials used. You can expect a properly installed fence to last a long time if properly maintained. Your Jefcoat fence professional should be able to help you decide which type of fence will serve your needs best.
Does Jefcoat have any installation recommendations?
Jefcoat Fence Co. wants your fence installed with minimum inconvenience and problems.
We suggest the following:
- Talk with your neighbors about the fence. Most neighbors will allow you to tie-on to their fence if they know what you are doing. A new fence can create problems with neighbors if they are not aware of what is going on.
- Proper staking of fence line will allow you to see fence placement and alert you to potential problems like trees, shrubs, etc. in fence line.
- JFC will place call to Mississippi One-Call to have all major underground utilities marked. Homeowner is responsible for any underground lines that are not marked by one call. These include sprinkler lines, low voltage lighting, gas grills, lights, etc. JFC will not be responsible for these lines if damaged.
- Be aware of subdivision covenants that will require prior approval for fence installation.
- We appreciate your cooperation and understanding concerning the scheduling and starting times of your fence dealing WITH weather related issues and special order materials.
How can I make the construction of my new fence go smoothly?
To make the construction process of your new fence progress smoothly, please be aware of several customer responsiblities:
- Property lines need to be identified by customer or surveyor.
- Customer should clear property lines or coordinate with JFC to have done.
- Customer, with coordination of JFC sales representative, needs to have fence lines staked, painted, or otherwise marked.
- Payment is due upon completion of job unless other arrangements have been made.
- Customer must notify JFC in writing of any contract changes.
What kind of warranty does Jefcoat offer?
Oversight in workmanship will be corrected at no charge if requested within 90 days from date of contract.
Pressure treated wood products have a manufacturer's warranty depending on the product. Manufacturer's warranty is available on request. Cedar products are untreated and carry no warranty.
Natural charcteristics of wood are checking, shrinking, and warpage.
- Checking is small hairline cracks that occur and are not considered defective.
- Shrinking can be expected from all wood products and is not considered defective.
- Warpage is a natural process of wood depending on the cut from the mills. Minor warpage is not defective and is not covered under warranty. Major warpage of wood product as determined by JFC, that will effect the strength and longevity of the fence will be covered under warranty during the 90-day period from date of contract.
Chain Link Materials
These materials carry a limited manufacturer's warranty. JFC will honor these warranties set forth by these manufacturers.
Iron and Specialty Products - All warranties provided by the manufacturers of these products will be supported by JFC.
What are my payment options?
- Down payments will be required on most projects as determined by your salesman.
- We offer 90-days same as cash option through our Credit Service Company.
- We accept VISA, Mastercard, and Discover credit cards, as well as personal checks, business checks, and cash.